Labels

February 7, 2010

One Step Enough...

Today in Relief Society we sang - "Lead Kindly Light" hymn #97. I love this song! One of the first times I remember hearing it or being made aware of it was in my Literature class at college. We were doing a poetry unit and the teacher read this hymn as one of her favorites to demonstrate that many songs are also poems. Since then I have paid much closer to the words each time I sing it. The whole premise of the song is we are here on Earth on a journey. The first verse is my favorite:

Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom; Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home; Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene - one step enough for me.

Sometimes I think what would it be like if I could just know where I'd be in 5 even 2 years? Maybe then I'd live with more determination and purpose. But, then I'm reminded like I was today that I'm not meant to know all the details of the future and that's OK. I know that my Heavenly Father knows and loves me. He is aware of all that is going on in my life and He continues to light my path so that I can continue to walk into the darkness. I don't need to see the road for the next 5 years to be successful - I only need to take it one step at a time. What a comfort it is to me that I have a Savior who has prepared a way for me to make it back home again. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ and am so glad I have it in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment