Labels

June 15, 2011

Bread


Today I'm thankful for: #1- Getting up early. I'm trying so hard this week to arise early. I've gotten up and read from the scriptures before work and today I even got a quick run in. I need to run faster so I can go farther in less time. It's wonderful to be up and out and it is just a little after 6. I think I'm going to love this summer! #2- My students they make me smile everyday. We are working on several projects and it's great to see them work hard on various things. Also the say the best stuff! We were working on an art project and one of my little guys kept getting off task from his project cause his friends were working on something else. I had told him a couple of times to go back to his seat. Then I hear his best friend say, "What are you doing?" The kid replies, "I don't know." and then shuffles back to his seat. Then his friend says more to himself, "What are you SUPPOSED to be doing?" I chuckled to myself sometimes my kids sound too much like adults. It's pretty great! #3- Bread and dinner with Kerri. Kerri and I received a coupon for a free loaf of bread when we finished the race for the cure. We've been talking about going and getting it for weeks now. We finally went tonight. I love to get a free slice of bread and it was the end of the day so our slices were thick and so yummy! We headed over to Rumbi's for dinner of a yummy rice bowl. As always it was lovely to visit with Kerri. #4- My childhood and my mission. For institute tonight a sister who grew up in Sri Leone spoke to us. She grew up during a time of war, saw horrors that none of God's children should ever witness, and ultimately found the church and was baptized. But the part of her story that touched me the most came when she told about her decision to serve a mission and her experience as a missionary. Maybe this touched me because I received a letter from Marianna today. She's 5 weeks into the MTC today and when I hear of missionaries she is front in my heart. This sweet sister told of being the first African sister to be called and to serve on temple square. As she left for her mission she had to fly by helicopter to the airport because it wasn't safe to travel any other way. She said, "I left for my mission with two changes of clothes in a plastic bag. (This was in November of 1999.) I think I have a little more to learn of sacrifice and trust in God as well as a deepened desire to share my love of the gospel no matter the cost. She told about arriving at the MTC and the MTC President and his wife found her and took her to a "boutique" they have right at the MTC where they gave her all the things she'd need to serve on temple square. I can't even imagine and at the same time my heart is touched at the wonderfulness of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. When you are called by God to teach and preach of Jesus Christ you don't need to worry about how many cute clothes you have to wear. Even if all you have is a plastic bag and two changes of clothes the Lord will provide you will all you need and I dare say most of the time much more than you need. I couldn't keep the tears back as she talked about serving on temple square and going with the other sisters to check the mail as they were headed to their apartment for the evening. She said, "I had no family to write me and mine was always empty." She said, "I'd ask the Lord, 'What about me?' and then the answer would come 'Mine angels will be round about you to bear you up.'" Then the miracle of the gospel. The other sisters saw she didn't get letters or packages and they wrote to their mothers and families. Soon her box was full and she had more than any sister. The senior couples left her notes and became loving parents to her. What a blessing for her and what a blessing for those who had the opportunity to serve and love one of our Heavenly Father's daughters who had felt alone most of her life. God loves us! He's aware of us and he will send us what we need in the very moment we need it the most. Sometime we have to wait a while but help will come and often it comes in the love of those around us who can't help but find ways to make our lives a little bit richer. So tonight I'm thankful for a wonderful childhood where I learned to work hard, to love my family, and to love my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I'm thankful for the safety I've always enjoyed for a warm home, for never going hungry, and never having to flee from rebels. I'm thankful for my own mission where I witnessed my own set of personal miracles where I learned that my Savior knows me and knows how to comfort me. Where I got to darn a black name tag declaring to the world that I was a servant of Jesus Christ and I came bearing His message. For a loving mission president and wife who are second parents to me. I am so blessed! I have many more experiences in life since my mission that I'm so thankful for but, for tonight I'm so thankful for these things.

1 comment: