Labels

June 12, 2011

One of My Favorites


Today I'm thankful for: #1- The Opportunity to serve in the church. It was my day to teach today and I also  had the privilege to talk on trust in Sacrament meeting. It was a little stressful with double duty. I spoke last and there were only about 5-8 minutes left so I gave the majority of my talk and bore my testimony so the meeting could end. Here is my talk: 
Trust

Today I would like to begin by sharing with you my favorite scripture. I actually have many favorites but this particular one has been the source of strength and comfort many time in the past years. I believe I first came to love this scripture while experiencing the challenges and joys of serving Heavenly Father as a full-time missionary in Pennsylvania. Since then there have been plenty of challenges and joys that have only deepened my appreciation of this scripture. It is found in
Alma 36:27
“And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yea, God has adelivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yea, and I do put my trust in him, and he will still bdeliver me.”
This scripture is part of Alma’s testimony toward the end of his ministry as he testifies to his son Helaman about his conversion. What are the trials and tribulations he is speaking about? We know Alma went to Ammonihah and the people rejected him. The Lord commanded him to return as a result he meets Amulek (Alma 8) and together they go forth and teach. Alma is belittled by Zeezrom (Alma 12). Imprisoned and smitten, then helplessly Amulek and Alma witness the death of the women and children, whom have been strong in their faith (Alma 14). Almulek questions Alma saying, “Behold, perhaps they will burn us also.”(Alma 14:12) Alma replies, “Be it according to the will of the Lord. But, behold, our work is not finished; therefore they burn us not.” (Alma 14:13) They are both then cast into prison where they are mocked and persecuted for many days. The Lord delivers them from prison and they go to Sidom where coincidentally Zeezrom lays sick. Alma heals this man who earlier contended so strongly against him and those faithful to the church. (Alma 15) Because of Alma’s humility, because he holds no grudge against Zeezrom, Zeezrom becomes a wonderful missionary (Alma 15:12). Alma’s life is spent in the service of the Lord preaching the gospel. He learned to recognize the Lord’s hand in his life and that through all trails and challenges the Lord could deliver him. He had learned in whom he should put his trust.
         I have not been called to pass through the same trials and challenges as Alma. I have never been bound and cast into prison, I have not been spit upon or cast out of a city for sharing my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. However, I have struggled in classes at college, laughed at because I willingly testified of my Savior on street corners, I have worried about finding the right employment, I have felt inadequate in a church calling, I know what it feels like to feel alone. We all have our own lists but this is the important part – How has the Lord delivered us from our trials and troubles? I have learned that if I did all that I could – if I attended every class, did my homework, and study for tests I’d be successful in that difficult class. –My heart was filled with the comfort of the Holy Ghost as I turned from those who mocked my testimony and I stood firmer in my faith of Jesus Christ knowing that His gospel is true. –if I follow the guidance of the spirit and am willing to say no to a jobs that would be easy to take and yes to ones I feel really good about but I don’t completely understand why great blessings follow. –Found that if I do all I can in trying to serve the Lord in my church calling He will make me up to the task. –I have learned that the Lord loves me and never leaves me alone. He blesses me with hope and desire for all that is good now and in the future. I feel like I too can say with Alma that: I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yea, God has adelivered me… and I do put my trust in him, and he will still bdeliver me.” I know that I will continue to experience challenges in the future and that my trust in my Father in Heaven will continue to grow as I continue to have faith in Jesus Christ and am delivered from my afflictions. Even if my deliverance isn’t in a way I expect.
         Life here on earth is meant to be a challenge it is a test for ourselves to be proven, to see if [we] will do all things whatsoever the Lord [our] God shall command [us]; (Abraham 3:25)

Part of trusting in the Lord is realizing that life is our test and not his. We are here proving ourselves to God NOT here proving God to ourselves.

So the question comes of how do we increase our trust so that we can prove ourselves to our Father in Heaven? It is like everything else in life we do it a little by little realizing that as we trust God in the small things in life we are able to trust Him in the larger. However, we must remember that things don’t always turn our exactly as we would expect.

Elder Eyering –

You show your trust in Him when you listen with the intent to learn and repent and then you go and do whatever He asks. If you trust God enough to listen for His message in every sermon, song, and prayer in this conference, you will find it. And if you then go and do what He would have you do, your power to trust Him will grow, and in time you will be overwhelmed with gratitude to find that He has come to trust you.” (President Henry B. Eyring, General Conference October 2010.)


But if not….

Our God will deliver us from ridicule and persecution, but if not. … Our God will deliver us from sickness and disease, but if not … . He will deliver us from loneliness, depression, or fear, but if not. … Our God will deliver us from threats, accusations, and insecurity, but if not. … He will deliver us from death or impairment of loved ones, but if not, … we will trust in the Lord.

Our God will see that we receive justice and fairness, but if not. … He will make sure that we are loved and recognized, but if not. … We will receive a perfect companion and righteous and obedient children, but if not, … we will have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, knowing that if we do all we can do, we will, in His time and in His way, be delivered and receive all that He has. (Dennis E. Simmons, General Conference, April 2004)

#2- Dinner at the Tricia's parents with her and Kerri. We always have a wonderful Sunday. I'm so thankful Tricia is willing to share her family with us. #3- the fun of having a puzzle on the kitchen table. We worked on the puzzle for a little while when we got home. I've decided a puzzle is a favorite activity of mine. But I really only really enjoy it when friends and family are helping. It's a lot more fun when others are helping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment