Today I'm thankful for: #1- The chance to mourn. We met at the funeral home mid afternoon to have a little family viewing before going to the church to meet with people. We didn't stay long. Liz arrived just before we were headed into town. So all of us but Anthony were there, his kids went to all of school and they planned to get to Ashton just in time for the public viewing. I was pretty excited to meet this new little guy. I love how snuggly a newborn is. I just can't get enough of them! All the little girls saw dad and I think reality sunk into them that what there parents had been explaining to them. That grandpa was gone but we will see him again. I was glad Liz was able to make it so she could be with us.
#2 - Aunt Shellie. My mom's sister made us a wonderful meal. She had it out to the cabin all ready for us to eat when we got back from the funeral home. Every thing tasted so good. I haven't felt like eating for over a week. And she even made monster cookies. These are a favorite of Liz and I's and they just don't taste quite the same unless Aunt Shellie makes them. Every time we see her at a family party we ask if she has made monster cookies. So it meant a lot to Liz and I that is what she made. Again, such a simple thing that lets you know you're loved and cared for.
#3 - Greeting family and friends. I took a couple of the little girls with me and we got to the church early for me to set up picture frames. Nikkie came and brought me extra frames for a couple of pictures I didn't get frames for earlier. She is such a sweetheart and I'm thankful to have her as my best friend. I told her she didn't have to stay all night but she said she was going to in case I needed something. We spent the evening greeting many family and friends. My mom held up really well and I was surprised how well I could stand there give people hugs and thank them for their love and support. A few of my dad's cousins from Utah came and it was delightful to visit with them. I feel so loved and I feel that my dad is so loved. I think when you think about passing from this life into the next you hope that you have made a difference in others lives. You know that you're not perfect and my dad wasn't but he impacted for good many people around him.
#4 - Up late with family. When we got home from the church we ate again and then sat down and visited. We mostly talked about memories of dad and then I typed up Liz and I's life sketch. Liz was really tired and went to sleep before I started typing it. She's had a long couple of days with having a baby and then making an 8 hour drive to get here just in time to go to the viewing. So I told her I'd type it up and she could read it the next day. I made Kera stay until I was finished so she could take my computer home and print off the talks. I owe her a favor. Jonathan stayed up late with me and we headed to bed after 1:00 a.m. We needed to sleep but at the same time we didn't want to go to bed because I don't think any amount of time would help us to be ready for tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment