Labels
October 24, 2011
Together
Today I'm thankful for: #1 - Siblings. I was so glad Jonathan was home to spend the day with mom and I. We headed into town early in the afternoon to meet mom and go to the funeral home. We had to ok the final program that has all of us kids giving dad's life sketch and sharing memories, the little girls singing Praise to the Man, (Lilly sang this song to dad a few weeks ago on the phone it's a song they all learned for their primary program and we thought it would be nice for them to sing.) Uncle Frank and Uncle Ed giving a brief talk, the Bishop speaking, and then Annie playing a melody of hymns. I knew mom was going to go give the program to the funeral home and that most likely dad would be ready to be viewed. So I told Jonathan that we better be there with her so she didn't have to be alone. It was interesting to finally see dad's body. I knew it would make this all seem real a whole lot more real. Somehow you think dad's not really gone until you see his body and the reality that it not him any more because his spirit is gone. You realize that we are never complete unless our spirit and our body are together to form our soul. And then I felt OK with the reality of seeing his body because his body is not him. It's interesting because this wasn't near as hard as I thought it would be. I know this is because of the prayers of all those who love me. All of this is easier because people are praying for me. It's the first time in my life that I can feel really feel their prayers a feeling so real that I can almost literally touch it.
#2- Sweet visiting teachers. My mom's sweet visiting teachers brought us dinner and more food than we could eat in a week. I've marveled at this whole bringing food to those who are suffering thing as so many people have brought us things. It interesting because you don't feel like eating at all but when you've reached a point of exhaustion and you have to eat there is something to eat. I've also thought about how bringing food is a way to mourn with those that mourn. You bring food because you want to help to bring comfort and there is really not much you can do but you can let people know that you know they're hurting and that you love them and you bring food which is comforting in it's own right.
#3- Just being together. We spent the evening at the cabin with family. I'm so thankful for them for the relationship I have with my mom's sisters who have been such a comfort to my mom. Grandpa and Janis also came for a little while and I'm so thankful for my grandpa who loves and cares for all of his family. He is such a sweet man!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment