Today I'm thankful for: #1 - The solar ovens my kids made to cook smores in it may be one of the grossest things watching my class and our third grade buddy classes devourer 60 smores. But the kids love it and I take pictures and really love it too.
#2 - Getting things done. Today was productive not just with my students working but with me working. I'm trying so hard to be on top of some things that I always seem to fall behind in. I just have to keep reminding myself - just one day at a time. Also, today I got the news that I'll be able to use this program that allows me to grade and track my students progress. I was already able to use the program but the math wasn't aligned to the new core so I was going to have to track them using some other much more difficult way. But today I got an e-mail that said they had put the new core standards on my account. I couldn't have been more happy!
#3 - A short run for today. I ran about 3 miles. I felt incredibly slow because it was so blasted hot. Kerri and I are gearing up for a 5 tomorrow a short run on Thursday and then a very long 10 mile run Saturday morning.
#4 A bowl of raspberries. I love raspberries. Growing up I have memories of being at Grandma's house and the raspberries were ready to be picked. I don't remember doing much picking. In fact I remember the little raspberry patch in Grandma's backyard never had very many berries (She'd take such good care of those bushes but they never really did much.) But somehow Grandma ALWAYS had raspberries. (At least in my memory she did.) Maybe Aunt Shellie kept her well stocked- Aunt Shellie had quite the raspberry patch. One day I hope I have one like she did. I learned to love the taste of these berries sitting at my Grandma's kitchen table. Usually it was later on a Sunday evening and she'd pull them out for a snack. We always ate them in a bowl filled with milk and sprinkled with sugar. I think Grandma actually put half and half on hers. At least my grandpa still eats his this way. I still don't know how I feel about half and half so I opt for milk. I'll try the half and half when I'm a Grandma sharing bowls of raspberries with my grandchildren. Tonight as I sat enjoying my bowl I thought, "I miss my grandma Clark! What I wouldn't give to sit down after a hot August day at her kitchen table as the cool Idaho evening breeze comes through the open window and have a bowl of raspberries with her. I so grateful for my knowledge that even though she is gone I will see her again someday and that we will enjoy the same relationship then as we did when we lived on the earth. We'll enjoy more raspberries together. There has to be kitchen tables in Heaven! I can hardly wait!" I'm so thankful for memories, for those who have lived before me and given me so much to live up to. And I'm thankful for those who will follow me. Hopefully I'll foster in them the same love for life that my grandma gave to me. Funny how a little bowl of raspberries can do so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment