Labels

September 24, 2011

Uplifted


Today I'm thankful for: #1 - An afternoon nap. I took a little nap this afternoon which is a rare treat. I don't usually nap on Saturdays but today I went a head and slept for about an hour.

#2- Haley. Kerri got tickets to go to the conference center to the Relief Society Broadcast but then she couldn't go because she had a wedding to go to. Tricia already had plans so Haley agreed to go with me. She's such a sweet friend and I've missed having her around as my roommate since she moved on to the better life of marriage. It was nice to catch up with her and how things are going in her life.

#3- President Utchdorf. I enjoyed and loved all the talks of the conference but President Utchdorf's talk was my favorite. Mostly because he reminded me that the Lord loves each one of us individually. He used the Forget Me Not flower and listed five things we should remember. One thing that really struck me was he talked about being careful not to miss out on the simple pleasures of life because we are focused and unsatisfied that we haven't gotten our "golden ticket" yet in life. He was referencing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He talked about a school teacher who over the years became bitter and mean because she never married. He commented on how sad it was that she could have be a positive influence in all the children's lives she taught but instead of enjoying those little things she was bitter she hadn't gotten her "golden ticket." This is good counsel and words of warning for me. Whatever the "golden ticket" in our lives is there are other smaller blessings that we can focus on. We need to remember to enjoy the candy bar even if it doesn't have a golden ticket. He also talked about being wise in the sacrifices that we make. That we should make good sacrifices that matter. It's true that at times we sacrifice time and effort in areas that don't matter. He ended with a beautiful testimony of the Lord's love for us as and individual and I could feel that love in my heart. It was a lovely meeting and I'm so thankful for the wonderful spirit it left me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment