Labels
March 5, 2011
Comfy Couch
Today I'm thankful for: #1 -Brett and Kerri and another delightful Saturday morning run. I was a bit slow today -I'm always slower than them but today it was extra bad. Might have a little to do with the lack of sleep Tricia and I stayed at Preston's too late watching Burn Notice. I've got to set myself a curfew! But the run was still nice although I was feeling yesterdays so that could be another reason I struggled today. #2 -BYU basketball! So the regular season is now over. Which is a little sad. We headed down to Provo today to watch the last home game of the season. After Wednesday I really hoped the team I've loved watching all season would be back. I wasn't disappointed. The feel in the Marriott Center was so different than it was on Wednesday. It felt like the team was a team and I was happy to see Brandon Davies sitting on the bench. The Atonement of Jesus Christ is such an amazing thing. No doubt Davies has a hard road in front of him and that is something that is between him and the Lord. But it was so sweet to witness the love I felt from the fans for him. I don't think many BYU fans disagree with the actions that were taken. He violated the Honor Code he agreed to follow. In fact a lot of the articles that I've read and news reports I've listened to from people who aren't necessarily BYU fans have repeatedly commented on how refreshing it is that BYU stands for what they believe even when it is hard. With all of the nation watching they adhered to the standards we as members of the LDS faith believe so strongly in. This week I watched as a situation became more about a person's soul than winning basketball games. With Davies on the bench the student section cheered for him and when the team was cutting down the net they sent him up to participate as well. The students all chanted "We Love Davies". I think there is a great lesson here. We all make mistakes luckily all of us don't have to play our mistakes out on a national screen, but we all make them. The bottom line is that just because we make mistakes -no matter how big or small the Lord still loves us. He wants us back and that is why he blessed us with the Atonement so that when we fall short we can repent and the Savior of the world makes up the difference and we can become clean. Really that is what the Honor Code at BYU, and the "Standards" of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for that matter, are all about. They are in place to keep us clean and to help us live a life filled with righteousness. I loved to see the players and coach of this team give Davies a hug and that the fans let him know that we support him as he makes the changes in his life that are necessary for him to become clean. I'm a big fan of BYU and I'm a fan of Brandon Davies and hope to see him play again next season. I enjoyed seeing that but I also enjoyed the Cougars come back from a devastating lost and play like the team we've all loved all season. The first half was pretty even and BYU wasn't up by very many going into the locker room. Kristi and Rob had brought their family to the game so I left my seats to go find them to say hi. Apparently they had four tickets to sit on the second row right behind the Wyoming players. They're Wyoming fans and their Bishop gave them these great seats because he couldn't use them. Kristi invited me to sit with them during the second half and I loved watching the game from this perspective. (That's me in the white shirt right behind Jimmer.) Maybe not the best thing because now I know what I'm missing not being up close. Like I said it was close at the half but then the Cougars came out and won 102-76. Great seats to watch a great 2nd half. So much fun and yes even with all the emotions of this week it's great to be a Cougar fan! #3-Dinner with friends and a comfy couch to watch shows on. We went out to dinner tonight and then came back to our house and watched a couple of shows. For my picture we were taking a little break between shows. When I was a kid it was always so funny to fake sleep. Why is it still so fun when I'm old. I think I might need to grow up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment